Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Birth of Myles Ray Owens

Myles is here!!!! And he is one awesome little guy - we are soooooo proud!

So here's the birth story (I'll try to edit so as not to give too many ewey details haha):
I went into the hospital Friday night (7/9/10) to be given a medication to "prep" me to be induced the next morning, and that ended up sending me into labor.



Sometime during the night I started contracting and then my water broke. By 6am I was ready for my epidural, and they gladly obliged. That was a relief! Around 9am they gave me the Pitocin to make the contractions come stronger and harder - which they did. I was actually having such strong contractions that I was having some breakthrough pain despite the epidural, so I was soooooo glad that I wasn't trying to endure WITHOUT the epidural! By about noon I was dilated to 4cm (almost halfway) and they said I was progressing they way I was supposed to. Then I suddenly started having searing pain in my right hip and the breakthrough pain was coming with a vengeance pretty much every contraction. They refreshed my epidural twice and then around 2:00 they checked me again to see how I was progressing, and we discovered that I had suddenly gone from 4cm to 10cm and it was time to push! AGHHHHHH!!!!!!

That part kinda sucked.....a lot....I won't go into much detail, but let's just say I tried really hard, but Myles REALLY didn't want to come out that way (I don't think he could fit). At one point I was begging for them to bring the anesthesiologist back in to refresh my epidural, but he was in surgery and couldn't come in right away. When he finally came in I yelled "Oh thank GOD!!!!" Hahahaha At least he felt loved. LOL

Anyway, I pushed for about 2 1/2 hours, and then Myles' heart rate dropped - A LOT. That was a very scary 15 minutes before they got him back up where he needed to be. At that point I had had it. I just wanted my baby to be born safely. Brent and I discussed options with the doctor and decided that it was time to do a C-Section. They had me sign some forms and gave Brent a sterile outfit that made him look like the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man, and we were off to surgery. That was also not a fun experience, but at least within 10 minutes of the start of surgery, we heard Myles cry!!!! I immediately burst into tears. Sooooo relieved! They brought him around the drape to clean him up and so we could see him - AMAZING!!!! That is a moment I will never ever forget...seeing him for the first time.....indescribable.....

After they got him cleaned up, assessed and measured (9 pounds 2 ounces, 22 inches long, and a head with a 13 1/2 inch circumference that was NOT going to fit through my body!), he was given to Brent who got to hold him for the 20 minutes that I was being sewn up (ew).

So....that's the story. Myles Ray Owens was born Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 5:54pm. He is ridiculously cute and is being loved on by pretty much everyone who comes in contact with him. :o)





We got to go home from the hospital on Tuesday and since then we have been settling in at home. He is such a good baby....very sweet and good-natured. He eats and sleeps well and doesn't cry unless he has a really good reason. We are super lucky! He is everything we could have possibly hoped for and more - we have truly been blessed!

This past Friday, Myles had his first appointment with his pediatrician. He got a great report - he's very healthy and is gaining weight and thriving! Yay!!! So he's now one week old and he is doing well and so are we. Just enjoying our little one....he makes it easy. :o)





7 comments:

  1. <3 We'll try to make it up there this weekend if you don't already have plans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful site to share what you each went through Kara. Loved all the pictures of course but your story was so very special. Gene will have to read this, know he will love it! Will get this url to Sarah to see too. Hope she gets some ideas like this for us!Sorry I didn't know what a profile was so put chose Anonymous... I think you will know who we are! I hope! ;-)
    Love Gene and Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Brent and Kara! Myles is super cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry it's been a while hasn't it mom

    ReplyDelete